Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Book Within a Book

Yesterday I found myself writing a book within a book. Quoting passages from a non-existent book in my current wip. The funny thing is that story has become very clear in my mind. So even though I've written maybe five paragraphs, the rest of the novel is floating around in my brain, begging the question "Is this a story I need to write?"

I could write it. It's probably only a novella. I shudder as I say this knowing I am tempting fate. I say a novella and the universe laughs and feeds a bunch more into my head making it an epic 150000 word novel. Or something horrible like that.
But the question really is should I take the time to write it. Would it be interesting to anyone but me? That's pretty much an unanswerable question. No one has seen the first story, so how could I know if they are interested in the second, nested within it? I don't know, and I have so many other projects that need to be written that the smart thing would be to ignore this one. But it keeps bumping up against the edges of my brain; trying to work its way out in such a way that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to ignore it.