Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Periwinkle Daisies




OK, so they aren't really called periwinkle daisies, but I have no clue what they are so that's what I'm calling them.  I don't remember ever seeing them before this year.  I'm not sure if that's because they are new this year, along with the bumper crop of apples and cherries, or if they were always there and I never noticed.

I am noticing more this year.  A young cousin of mine was in an accident and while he's recovering I'm describing to him "Vermont as I see it."  Well you have to actually look at stuff, and think about how to define it if you want someone to "see" what your saying.  It's made me focus more on what is around me.  That is a real gift.

The sunlight has a hazy quality today.  From where I sit the sky looks clear, but I'm betting there are a few wispy clouds in front of the sun on the other side of the house.

The road passes very close to our house.  It's not widely traveled - maybe 10 cars a day at most.  Fewer in winter.  Today the tall grass growing alongside the our road makes it seem more like a cart path.  It's wider than it looks from my window, two cars can actually pass each other if they are careful, but from here the dirt looks scuffed and narrow.  I can see evidence of the horses that passed by yesterday.  It's so tranquil.  A shaded lane.  A magical path skirting my country home.  If you were lucky enough to stumble upon it you could find yourself here.