Friday, January 8, 2010

Study Hall 101

Some of you know that I took on the job as study hall monitor for the high school this year. Either I need my head examined or it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. You decide.

Today was especially interesting. The Chemistry teacher needed someone to cover his class for a few hours today, so study hall got moved to the chem lab and I got double the normal amount of students. If you think study hall is a hoot with just study hall students, try adding the entire population of school brainiacs. We have one side of the room watching inane and probably forbidden YouTube videos while the other side of the room is measuring, weighing, and heating. You heard me right: heating. As in Bunsen burners and hot plates. Thank God it was only hot plates today. Because Bunsen burners and study hall students do not mix. Not one bit.

Wants some highlights? A "pretend" brawl between two seniors, a boy and girl turned into a knee in the groin; rolling around on the floor, hand sanitizer in the hair incident in which the boy got the worst of it. I'm telling you I would not mess with that girl. She's a tough one.
Then there was the constant begging for me to take the group outside to play ultimate Frisbee in the snow. After me repeat idly telling them 'no!' a few of them thought they'd play ultimate Frisbee in the chem lab. Oh joy. "Please don't send us to the planning room Mrs. George, we'll stop now."

Needless to say, I didn't get any writing done. I have never been so happy to get back to the study hall as I was fifth period today. Even seventh period was tame compared to the Chemstudy Lall today.